My email inbox contains the minutes from a meeting that I missed this week. The meeting was held by a group of training and development professionals who are currently unemployed and are actively supporting each other during our job searches.
By the looks of things, the conversation was focused and positive, and inspired by Bill George, one of the authors of “True North“. I have never read Bill’s work but I am inspired by his definition of authentic leadership…
- Authentic leaders pursue their purpose with passion
- Authentic leaders practice solid values
- Authentic leaders lead with their hearts as well as their minds
- Authentic leaders establish connected relationships
- Authentic leaders demonstrate self-discipline
The next few days, I’ll be exploring each of these statements. I am not sure if the adventure is going to be personal or professional, probably a little of both. Either way, I look forward to sparking a dialogue with you about what defines an authentic leader.